...converting a shopaholic into an entrepreneur...

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Marching to the beat of my own drum. (Just happen to be tone deaf)


I have come to the realization that my posts will be few and far between. I know all 3 of you who read this are so disappointed. Not only do I struggle to find a topic for my posts, I do not have a single moment to sit and ponder until I think of an interesting one. BUT I promise to atleast make an effort.


Lately/recently/currently/sometime/a while ago; (I have a bad concept of time right now) I have been up to a lot! I am still working at Festivity, a local boutique here in Atlanta. My location is a few miles out of the city perimeter in the suburbs. (compare Dogwood in Flowood) We are gearing up for our "crazy" holiday season, stocked to the BRIM with clothes, clothes, and more clothes + tables full of "wonderful" Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas goodies. I don't really decorate for holidays, and see absolutely no excitement in buying a red and green cookie platter with Rudolph on it. So I am trying to stick to what I know.. clothes, accessories, jewelry, styling mannequins (they don't talk back), and studying the inventory/transfers/reorders (all the numbers). Everyone on my team is amazing. Together we create the ideal fun and hardworking environment everyone wants. Including dance parties, karaoke, fashion shows, therapy, lunch buddies, and your occasional fake accent or two. ;) With the holiday season coming on the customers are getting crazier and crazier. I have learned to take each and every one of our sweet precious angel customers with a grain of salt and smile sweetly when their ten karat diamond ring is flying in my face and the iPod is drowned out by shrieking. This is almost always the case when we inform our customers of our return policy ("Store credit or exchange only. no refunds.......I'm just the messenger..Yes ma'am I understand that you were too oblivious to read the sign, your receipt, or listen when we told you as you checked out...I am very sorry we are losing you as a customer.") I work full-time, but in retail that includes nights and weekends. So its usually ten days on with about one day off somewhere in the middle. I am learning the phrase "sleep when you're dead" currently applies to my life now, especially if I want to see people, do social things, travel (ha), run errands...

Since I have so little extra time I am squeezing Duet and jewelry making in here and there. I try to do something for my business everyday, even if it is just a small task. A few weeks ago, I participated in a wonderful event "Pink and White Gala; A gathering of girlfriends" a girl's night in support of breast cancer awareness. I was a vender, with my very own table (woww!!) The week before I literally did not sleep trying to get everything made and all of my display ready. When I finally got to the event (after getting lost, and then going to find my mother who was lost) I was so excited to have all of my work displayed! I realized then how much work I put into Duet! I got so much wonderful feedback, and met some really amazing women that night. I am currently working on custom orders, and selling things from my inventory. My style keeps changing, and I am just going with it. Duet is taking me on a wild, but very sweet ride.

I have decided to leave the married couple's nest. It is time for me to stop living off of Holly and Davis and get my own place. I have looked at some places in downtown Atlanta; some of the areas are Loring Heights, Virginia Highlands, and Buckhead. Hopefully I will be moved out before Christmas. (when I say that I mean hopefully my parents will move me in before then while I am at work)

I am living in Bulldog Country, but the wrong one. HOW AMAZING IS MISSISSIPPI STATE THIS SEASON!???!!!!!!!!!! We are currently 7-2, ranked #21. I wish I was still at school to enjoy this awesomeness, but its still pretty great from afar. Especially since MSU beat GEORGIA and FLORIDA this season. What has happened to the SEC East? Anyways, I am cheering on my bulldogs all the way to our bowl game! (hopefully peach bowl for obvious reasons)

I will write soon. or later. call me. beep me. if you wanna reach me.

No comments:

Post a Comment